Blog Series: Taking the Next Step in Your Career
Maybe you are a recent graduate and entered the workplace just months ago. Or, maybe you have been in your job for five years. Regardless, you should always be thinking of this phrase: How do I take the next step?
Complacency is never a good thing, so you should always be driving yourself to be a success. By settling, we lose the drive and the ambition to take that next step.
I’ve had a number of jobs and switched careers. All those experiences helped me launch my own business. Here are five tips that I believe can help you take your next step.
1. Keep Your Eyes Open– You never know when a great opportunity may come upon you. Never just dismiss it; think about the pros and cons. I always do a personal SWOT analysis at every opportunity.
2. Be Smart– I never would tell someone to jump to another job just for the sake of jumping. Do your research. Look at what you can offer them as much as why they can offer you.
3. Spread Your Wings– As much as you may not want to, considering a job in another city or state could be the perfect move. It offers the challenge of learning a new area and making a name for yourself. Plus, meeting new people always helps to challenge us.
4. Listen to a mentor– A trusted colleague can sometimes be the best sounding board. They can also often give terrific career and life guidance. They’ll also be blunt in their opinions, which you should listen carefully to.
5. Don’t Doubt Yourself– This sounds easy, but it isn’t always the case. You are the one that knows your skills best; believe in yourself and know that even though you may not know it all, you can still be a success.
Do you have some tips that have helped you take the next step? Let me know in the comments.
Posted on January 31, 2013, in Inspiration, Job Search, Personal Branding and tagged advice, Career changes, career guidance, doing a SWOT analysis, learning experiences, mentoring, Public Relations, taking the next step in your career. Bookmark the permalink. 6 Comments.